This site is no longer in use. We have re-branded to Bloomsbury Institute – please visit bil.ac.uk
Fresher’s Week is almost here. On Friday 30th September, at 12 Noon, the clock will countdown to zero, and Student Central will commence educating students in the ways of having an amazingly social time at LSBM.
The fun and games will begin with the distribution of Student Central ‘Goodie Bags’ on the day between 12 noon and 5pm, though these are limited in number, so you would be well advised to get there early, as they may run out!
The contents are a closely guarded secret.
It could contain free tickets for a 15-day private walking tour of Japan, a 10-day VIP trip to Israel, a silver necklace, a spa system, or a year’s worth of Audi car rentals, which were just a few of the $232,000 worth of freebies given away in the last Oscar Goodie Bag.
But, let’s face it. Probably not!
You may however get a free plastic pen! Odds of that are pretty good.
(I have already extensively written about the joys of ‘free plastic pen collecting’ in this blog post about UCAS Fairs. So that isn’t to be sniffed at. Collect one ‘free’ pen every day for the next 10 years and you too can have a ‘pen wall that looks like this’.)
Actually, it is possible there may be something decent in it.
Looking at the Student Central Freshers page here, here are the list of the ‘sponsors’ of Fresher’s Week.
Now, admittedly I have ZERO idea what it takes to be a ‘sponsor’ of Fresher’s Week.
(Smile sweetly and offer cash to the right person is my best bet.)
But it seems ‘reasonable’ to suspect that at least a few nibbles, film vouchers, and TFL enlightenment (maps of London Underground anyone?) should be contained within the goodie bags.
And, who knows, maybe there will be ‘wild-card’ items which really shouldn’t send you into fits of rapturous glee, but in fact will.
Items of this variety may include:
Anyhow, truth is, I have no crystal ball.
So, I have no idea if any of these items will make it to the ‘final cut’ in the Fresher’s Week ‘Goodie Bag’.
You will just have to turn up at 12 Noon on Friday 30th September 2016 at Student Central to find out!
Here is where all the fun is going ‘down’:
Life Lessons from Freebies?
The ‘Goodie Bag’ is JUST the start of your journey. But Fresher’s Week is important. It is the start of the journey, and how you begin anything sets the tone for how you will see it through.
You start at Kindergarten and you end up doing a degree!
Speaking of which…
A colleague of mine (Thanks Cal!) this week reminded me of the lessons learned from a book we had both read many years ago called ‘All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten’ by Robert Fulghum (you can find it on Amazon here)
Here is the core message of that book:
“These are the things I learned (in Kindergarten):
1. Share everything.
2. Play fair.
3. Don't hit people.
4. Put things back where you found them.
5. Clean up your own mess.
6. Don't take things that aren't yours.
7. Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody.
8. Wash your hands before you eat.
10. Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you.
11. Live a balanced life - learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some.
12. Take a nap every afternoon.
13. When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together.
14. Wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
15. Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup - they all die. So do we.
16. And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned - the biggest word of all - LOOK.”
― Robert Fulghum, All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten
You are starting a new chapter of your life.
It’s not Kindergarten.
But how you treat it is down to you.
So let me add number 17 to the list.
17. When someone gives you free stuff you like. Accept it happily and say Thank-You.
See you on the 30th Sept!
Here is the Student Central Freshers Page with all the details.
Media and Content Manager
Thanks from the Outgoing LSBM Student President Delon Jones...
What our students say about LSBM: Calin Chirigut...
New rental laws help students...
© 2018 London School of Business and Management