Health Services

International students who are studying in the UK for more than 6 months have access to free health care through the National Health Service (NHS). There might be charges for dental treatment and the issue of prescriptions.

The UK Government has introduced an additional fee for international students (which will be payable with the visa fee) to cover a student’s access to the National Health Service (NHS) in England. Details on this are as follows: 

Immigration Health Surcharge

Introduced in 2015, the surcharge is paid by non-EEA nationals who apply to come to the UK to work, study or join family for a period of more than 6 months. It is also paid by non-EEA nationals who are already in the UK and apply to extend their stay. 

From 6 April 2017, those applying for a Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) will be required to pay a surcharge of £200 per person per year. Dependents pay around the same amount as the main applicant.

Register with your local General Practitioner (GP)

As soon as you arrive in the UK you should register with your local General Practitioner (GP) at the surgery closest to your place of residence. On the NHS website you can search for GPs that are local to you with your postcode.

We will issue you with a letter, which will prove your status as a student. You should take this letter and your passport to register with a doctor.

If you are not entitled to NHS treatment, then you should obtain medical insurance. It is also wise to consider taking out insurance for the following circumstances:

  • Loss of fees if you are unable to complete your course
  • Additional treatment and medical expenses not covered by the NHS (please consult the NHS website for details)
  • Cost of returning home if a relative is taken ill
  • Cost of a relative visiting you if you fall ill
  • Returning home for medical treatment

Partners and Accreditations

Get In Touch

  • London School of Business and Management
  • 1 Malet Street, London, WC1E 7JN.